(Samantha Chang, Western Journal) Liberal lawmakers aren’t serious about curbing the homelessness epidemic ravaging Los Angeles, based on their move to challenge a California federal judge who ordered them to provide shelter to every homeless person there by Oct. 18.
Last week, Judge David O. Carter — an appointee of former President Bill Clinton — ordered LA to set aside $1 billion in escrow to provide some sort of housing or shelter to the 66,436 homeless people living on the streets.
On Friday, attorneys for the county joined the city in filing a motion to suspend the order, arguing that it was overly broad and violated “the separation of powers within government,” KFI-AM reported.
Skip Miller, the county’s outside counsel, also claimed that Carter’s calls for immediate action to get homeless people off the streets would derail the LA’s plans to provide permanent housing for them.
“It upends long-term plans for permanent housing in favor of a temporary fix that would create a revolving door, not a way out, for persons trapped in homelessness,” Miller said. “For these reasons, we’re seeking a stay of the order and are pursuing an appeal.”
Apparently, LA officials did not carefully read Carter’s scathing 110-page order on Tuesday in which he blasted them for failing to address the homelessness apocalypse that has metastasized across Los Angeles…
“Recent investigations into City-funded housing projects for the homeless demonstrate that a lack of government oversight has allowed the proliferation of corruption.”
He added: “These cases, of which there are almost certainly more to be discovered, indicate that the city has turned a blind eye to corruption as money is being siphoned off from funds that taxpayers voted to allocate to the homeless population.”
Carter said Los Angeles has morphed into a squalid, crime-infested hellhole where homeless people are neglected and city residents are unable to enjoy the parks and other public squares that their tax dollars pay for.